Elkhart Fire Department Fire TruckStations

There are three Volunteer Fire Departments in Morton County. They are located in the cities of:

  • Elkhart
  • Richfield
  • Rolla

Each department is equipped with at least a pumper, a brush unit, and a tanker.

Burn Ban Status: As of 6/13/22 No burn ban in place



The Morton County Fire Chief coordinates Fire Department responses in Rural Morton County and works with the U.S. Forest Service when responding to Fires on the Cimarron National Grassland.

Rescue Unit

The Elkhart Fire Department houses the Rescue Unit. The Rescue Unit has an assortment of tools and equipment, including the Jaw-of-Life, to be used in a number of different rescue scenarios.

Volunteer Duties

Many of our volunteers are also EMTs and Storm Spotters.

Burn Permits

A burn permit is required for controlled burns in Rural Morton County and the City of Elkhart.  The information provided when a Burn Permit is issued helps prevent Emergency Resources from being unnecessarily sent to controlled burns.

How to Obtain a Burn Permit

The City of Elkhart

  • Call Elkhart City Hall at 620-697-2171, to obtain a burn permit within the Elkhart city limits.  
  • Permits are for 48 hours

The fee is approximately $3 or $4

Rural Morton County

Contact the Morton County Sheriff's Department:

  • Elkhart Area
    Phone: 620-697-4313
  • Rolla and Richfield Areas
    Phone: 620-629-0966

Give dispatch:

  • The location
  • What you will be burning
  • Telephone number where you can be contacted

Dispatch will contact the appropriate Fire Chief and then call you back.