Who needs to list property?

K.S.A. 79-303: "Every person, association, company or corporation who shall own or hold, subject to his or her control, any tangible personal property shall list said property for assessment."

K.S.A. 79-301: "All tangible personal property subject to taxation shall be listed and assessed as of the first day of January of each year in the name of the owner thereof."

Remember: It is your responsibility to file this information with the county appraiser's office. If you own any tangible personal property with the intent to establish and/or operate a business (including a home based business), or if you own any recreational property or vehicles not taxed at the time of registration, or mobile homes not on a permanent foundation, you must file a rendition with the county appraiser's office. The rendition form is available from the Morton County Appraiser's Office located in the County Courthouse in Elkhart.

To receive a rendition, you may write to:
P.O. Box 1430
Elkhart, KS 67950-1430

You can also call 620-697-2106, where Willena Boaldin, Morton County Personal Property Clerk will be glad to assist you.

Show All Answers

1. When should I appeal an appraised value?
2. How do I confirm information about my property?
3. Is there other help?
4. How do I file an appeal?
5. What happens after I ask for an appeal?
6. How do I prepare for an appeal?
7. What is personal property?
8. What is market value?
9. Who needs to list property?
10. What else should I know?