Register of Deeds


Requires personal commitment to serve the citizens of Morton County for the common good of all. It is an honor and privilege to serve the citizens of Morton County. We hold that trust sacred.


The Register of Deeds offices records, maintains and preserves the land records of the county. Deeds, mortgages, mortgage releases, easements, oil and gas leases, and plats are some of the documents typically filed in the Register of Deeds office. The records we keep are permanent and date back to 1886. All records in this office are open to the public with the exception of the Kansas Real Estate Sales Validation Questionnaire and military discharges which are closed by State Statute. The filing fees are set by state statute K.S.A. 28-115 and K.S.A. 28-115a and required indexes are set by state statute K.S.A. 19-1201 thru 19-1219


The Register of Deeds office is now excepting Electronically recorded documents through Simplifile and CSC. If you would like to E-record a document, you need to contact Simplifile to set up an account. You can contact Simplifile at 800-460-5657 or by visiting their website, and CSC at 866-652-0111 or by visiting their website.

Remote Access to Documents

We are also offering remote access to documents by subscription. To set up a long-term account you will need to contact our office, and for short-term access, refer to the CIC Remote Access / Printing Service website. Fees for the online search can be viewed by clicking on the link Electronic search information.

Fee Schedule

The fees for all online access accounts are listed on the Fee Schedules page.

Recording Requirements 

Document Requirements

Documents presented for recording must be originals, signed and properly notarized, and of sufficient legibility so as to produce a clear and legible reproduction.  If a document is judged not to be of sufficient legibility, such document shall be accompanied by an exact copy thereof which shall be of sufficient legibility to produce a clear and legible reproduction and which shall be recorded contemporaneously with the document and shall be counted as additional pages (K.S.A. 28-115). The Register of Deeds may reject any document which is not of sufficient legibility.


A minimum of a 1.5 inch top margin for paper documents and 3 inch top margin for e-recorded documents is required in order for us to place our recording information at the top of the first page. This area needs to be completely blank.  If sufficient space is not provided for the necessary recording information and certification on a document, we require a cover page to be added which will be counted as a page and be charged the required fees. In addition to the top margin of the first page,  a 1 inch margin at the top and bottom and ½ inch side margin of each additional page are also required.


The Kansas Register of Deeds are required to collect the correct fees before recording documents. The fees are set by statute K.S.A. 28-115 and K.S.A. 28-115a. Uniform Commercial Code (UCC) fees are set by the Secretary of State Agency 7; Article 17—Uniform Commercial Code. See the fee schedule.

If the name or names of any signer or notary public are not plainly typed or printed under the signatures, the Register of Deeds shall charge and collect a fee of $1.00 in addition to all other fees provided in this schedule (K.S.A. 28-115d).  

Kansas Real Estate Sales Validation Questionnaire (SVQ)

All deeds and affidavits of equitable interest presented for recording must be accompanied by a Kansas Real Estate Sales Validation Questionnaire (SVQ) or have and exemption clearly stated on the deed.  (K.S.A. 79-1437c and K.S.A. 79-1437e) The SVQ can be found on the Kansas Department of Revenue web site at, , and the instructions are on the back.

Mortgage Cap Affidavit

In order to receive the lower recording fee for single family mortgages on principal residences where the principal debt or obligation secured by the mortgage is $75,000 or less, a Mortgage Cap Affidavit must be attached to the mortgage stating these facts.   K.S.A.28-115(j)

Kansas Register of Deeds Association

More information may be found on the Kansas Register of Deeds Association website. The Register of Deeds office is a recording office and retains land records for public inspection. We cannot, however, provide any searches of records.